Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome to Memorizing Philippians

Welcome!

It is good to memorize Scripture. This blog is a temporary blog (March though May 2009) to help us at Trinity Baptist Church in Fairfield, CT memorize the book of Philippians.

Two weeks ago I mentioned some reasons to memorize scripture from John Piper:

Memorizing the Bible helps us...

· Be More like Jesus “we all behold the glory of the Lord are being transformed into that same image” (2 Cor 3:18) Bible memorization makes our gaze on Jesus steadier and clearer

· Triumph over Sin “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. . . . I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:9, 11). As sin lures the body into sinful action, we call to mind a Christ-revealing word of Scripture and slay the temptation with the superior worth and beauty of Christ over what sin offers.

· Comfort and Counsel for People You Love “A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.” (Proverbs 25:11) The times when people need you to give them comfort and counsel do not always coincide with the times you have your Bible handy.

He sums it up by saying "When the heart full of God’s love can draw on the mind full of God’s word, timely blessings flow from the mouth."

What do you think? Why do you memorize scripture? I look forward to your comments.

Clif Davis

1 comment:

  1. Diana from church quoted Proverbs 25:11 to me around 2 years ago and it has become one of my favorite verses.

    I memorize scripture because I have so many false teachers coming to my door trying to share their "religion" with me. They say all the right words~"saved"~"Jesus is my Lord and Saviour"~but they are really twisting God's word around and distorting it. It is terrible.

    I have the LDS missionaries, the Jehovah Wittnesses etc. They are worshiping something but it is not Jesus~it is very sad and scary!
    So, unless I know my scripture I will get fooled by these false teachers.

    I should say the most important reason I try my hardest to memorize God's word is because God is the only authority that can tell me what is evil and what is honoring to Him. How would I know that without getting to know him personally by reading His word? This is so important for me. For God to be able to trust me~that I would not shame Him.

    God bless, Rose

    ReplyDelete